A blog about a man who grew up during the console wars and lived to procreate.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Making a game

So +Jill Duarte tends to make a lot of short posts to keep her blog (http://hipstrings.blogspot.com) active, so why don't I try this.  At work I discovered that my coworker +Matthew Gettemy is really into board games.  He introduced me to a ton of neat games and since a) I have access to a laser cutter, and b) the local hipster craft fairs are actively asking "Where are the Pittsburgh game makers?" I decided I would start up making some games.  This started with the idea of making a really pretty Settlers of Catan expansion, but now I am neck deep into a game I call Cirquite.  It is basically an upgrade to the Milton Bradley game Waterworks where you tried to be the first to complete a functioning plumbing system.  I loved this game as a kid because I could play it by myself (I didn't have too many friends who could come over), and there is something satisfying about creating a path (not to mention the neat mini metal wrenches that came with the game).  But no one wants to be a plumber anymore, so I have changed the theme to circuits.  I am starting out with just the same basic piece distribution, but this concept lends itself to expansions quite easily, and being an electrical engineer I hope to be able to make some extra nerdy ways to play (get a bonus if you make an LCR resonator!).  Attached are the first two pieces.  I hope to have a full set ready to cut on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to play it!

    Next up: Aliens-remake of Operation, wherein the goal is to dissect an Alien cadaver without scorching yourself in acid!

    ReplyDelete